Armed Forces Medical College, Pune is a centre of excellence for medical education and research. The medical institute is affiliated to the Maharashtra University of Health Science, Nashik and is recognised by the Medical Council of India. The institute offers various UG, PG and nursing programs. The students of AFMC are trained and assured career prospects in the defence services.
AFMC provides four and a half year MBBS course with a 1-year internship in selected hospitals recognised by the Medical Council of India. A total of 150 candidates are selected as Medical Cadets and provided training at AFMC, and later they have to work as Medical Officers in Armed Forces Medical Services. Among them, five candidates are sponsored by the Government from friendly foreign countries and the rest of the 145 candidates consists of 115 boys and 30 girls. The candidates selected in the MBBS course in AFMC need to have leadership qualities, effective communication skills, and excellent physical standards.
Eligibility to Apply for AFMC Pune
- Candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
- Applicant must be unmarried.
- Candidates should be medically fit as per the standards laid by the Ministry of Defence.
- They should have attained the age of 17 and should not have crossed the age of 24.
- Candidate must have passed the qualifying exams in the first attempt with English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology and securing not less than 60% of the aggregate marks.
List of Qualifying exams
The candidates who want to apply for AFMC should have passed any of the following exams:
- 10+2 exams with English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and practical tests from a recognised Indian university or board.
- The Pre-professional/Pre-Medical examination with English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology after 10+ two exams.
- First-year of three years Degree course from a recognised University with English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and practical tests
- Twelve years of study from the ICSE board with the last two years comprising Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics or any other elective with English at a higher level.
- Higher Secondary School Certificate examination from the Maharashtra State Board. This should include Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, English and any modern, foreign and classical languages.
- Any other examination which is equivalent to the Higher Secondary Science/Pre-Professional /Pre-medical Examination of Indian University/ Board with English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology including practical test in each of these Science subjects.
- Sc. examination from a recognised Indian University with any of the two subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology.
Seats Available for MBBS Courses
|Total Number of Seats
|Sponsered seats for NEET qualifiers foreign students
|5 seats out of 150
|Total no. of seats for medical cadets
|145 seats out of 150
|Total no. of seats for boys
|115 seats out of 145
|Total no. of seats for girls
|30 seats out of 145
|Total no. of seats for ST/ SC candidates
|10 seats out of 145
AFMC MBBS Method of Selection
In order to pursue MBBS program from AFMC, candidates can go through the steps given below:
- Apply for NEET 2020. The candidates who are able to qualify NEET (UG) conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency) will only be able to go through the screening test of AFMC.
- The eligible candidates can register and apply for AFMC. They will have to submit their NEET roll numbers which will be available after filling NEET application form.
- The list of the candidates who have cleared the cut-off and are selected for the screening test of AFMC will be available on the AFMC website. 1750 candidates (1170 boys and 580 girls) will be selected for the screening test held in the third or fourth week of June.
- The shortlisted candidates will be invited for the screening test, that would include the Test of English, Comprehension, Logic, and reasoning (ToELR)
- This will be a 30-minute computer-based test (CBT) of 80 marks. It will contain 40 MCQs, and each question will be of 2.0 marks. Each wrong answer contains negative marks of 0.5. The marks obtained in ToELR will be added with the scores of NEET to get a score out of 800. Then this will be divided by 4 to get the written examination score out of 200.
- Psychological Assessment Test (PAT)
- Interview of 50 marks
- Medical Examination
- The selected candidates will have to show all the original certificates or mark sheets at the time of the screening tests. These documents would include:
- NEET UG admit card
- NEET UG scorecard
- Original documents of NCC, sports certificate at school, district, state, national or international level, if any.
- Two merit lists will be released, one for boys and one for girls, based on their scores in the NEET-UG and the screening test of AFMC. The shortlisted candidates will be offered admission, and the others will be kept on the waiting list.
NEET 2020 exam will be conducted on May 3, 2020. Candidates who want to pursue MBBS program from AFMC must take the exam as it is one of the eligibility criteria for the admission process. All the best!