Marketing is an important strategy that has been used for ages. It is a way by which a business promotes its product and services to people. There are mainly two ways in which marketing is done, digital and traditional. Both of these strategies are impactful in their ways.
This article tells you the difference between these strategies to help you make the right decision.
About Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is about the use of online channels that include social media, and websites to market communication. Considering the technological advancement and the increasing use of smartphones, digital marketing is an effective way to target the young generation.
ACG digital marketingis a leading firm that has a team of experienced marketing agents. They offer influential marketing services to businesses in a wide range of domains.
What Is Conventional Marketing?
Traditional marketing is done by using traditional channels such as printed media, newspapers, radio, and billboards for business promotion. This type of marketing was popular till the 1990’s i.e., before the advent of the internet.
Differences Between Digital Marketing And Traditional Marketing
The major thing that differentiates between conventional and digital marketing is the medium used to communicate with the audience. Where traditional advertising makes use of the following channels:
- Outdoor (Taxi wraps, billboards, bus wraps, posters, etc)
- Broadcasting (Television, or Radio)
- Print (Newspapers or Magazines)
- Direct Mail (catalogs)
- Telemarketing (Text message or Phone)
- Window signs and display
With a population of more than 4.54 billion people on the web, advertisers turn to online marketing channels to reach business leads. Digital marketing uses the below channels to reach out to a greater segment of the online audience, which online marketing involves the promotion of business to online audiences.
- Social media (Instagram, FB, etc)
- Content marketing
- Website design
- Inbound marketing
- Affiliate marketing
- PPC (pay per click)
- Email marketing
- Paid advertising
- Social media
- Online stores
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Social media marketing
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising
- Videos, etc.
Digital marketing offers more measurement ability and trackability compared to traditional marketing. Online marketers use advanced tools to analyze a broad range of metrics in real-time. These includes:
- Unique visitors
- Session length
- Likes and follows
- Links from other sources
- Page rank
- Ranking keywords
- Video views
Despite the digital age, traditional marketing plays an essential role in the life of people. This is because there is still a certain segment of people who still prefer to use traditional media.
Supporters of online marketing believe that digital marketing touches every point of the internet to reach its potential customers. The present generation uses the internet for eight to ten hours a day. Digital marketing makes the maximum use of this behaviour of people to weave in promotional communications into each digital channel.
Pros And Cons Of Traditional Marketing
- Impactful, entertaining, and convenient to understand
- Printed advertising material is more permanent
- More memorable
- Hard to measure campaigns
- Expensive than digital campaigns
- There is no consumer interaction
Pros And Cons Of Digital Marketing
- More alternative to create a social engagement
- Easy to calculate the performance of your campaigns
- Provides various tools to make it easy to target potential customers
- Digital ads can annoy people
- Less permanent
- Google ads, banners, social media ads, or promo emails can be fleeting, or temporary. They can be easy to ignore and intangible.
- As it is a constantly changing field, users need to regularly update their knowledge about the key strategies involved.
The key to a successful marketing strategy is to seek the right balance between online, and conventional strategies. Both of these strategies play a critical role in brand and business promotion. To make marketing more effective, you should use them in unison.