When you are on social media, you might be tempted to overshare, which is no doubt a problem. But, some people cannot do anything about it and others will try to change this notion for betterment. Fortunately, there are some of the ways, which you can try to avoid oversharing on major social media like Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and more. Be sure to choose wisely what you are planning to post and avoid posting anything else which is not relevant to your business.
You should avoid anything that your friends, employer or even family might not get associated with or appreciate the same. You need to be quite mindful of the security you are associated with while using social media to its full power and potential. On the other hand, it is really important for you to avoid any form of automatic location functions or check-in versions.
You should make it a point to avoid posting any form of personally identifying info, which can lead to identity theft and used right against you. On the other hand, you need to take some time off from the jungle of social media, maybe once in a week, just to stop yourself from sharing anything on the accounts.Taking this time off will definitely help you to avoid posting responses to the friends’ post or news articles that do not require you at all and don’t want you to share information about your life. If you need to grow your Instagram followers count then you have to stop oversharing, otherwise you might end up losing many.
For the content selection:
There is no doubt to the fact that you have to choose your content wisely. If you ever think of sharing any controversial topics, then you are so done and over! Some of the topics like religion, politics and even some other polarizing issues are always out of context as that might lead to heated arguments, which you don’t want to be a part of. It might even alienate some followers that you already have.
- If you really don’t want to engage in any such arguments and not planning to lose followers, then you better avoid posting such topics or any of the neutral comments.
- You always don’t have to be engaging to start an argument. Even if you have just posted a religious or political based topic and left it just like that, still your followers will start arguing on it, leading to spam and other issues with your official account.
Your sharing always needs to be on a positive thought:
In place of posting any form of negative interactions with anyone else on social media, you have to post information noted towards the positive sides. For example, do not ever post any content, which is related to the misbehavior of the child or even conflict that might have gotten you into the spouse. In its place, you can just try to post content well related to good grade of your little ones, or even pleasant date with your spouse after a long time. Always remember that trying to post anything negative seems way too personal to be shared on public forums. It might even make others reading it uncomfortable. So, be sure to avoid creating that space on the first place!
You have to share like the person is right beside you:
It is always quite easy to post or even re-blog anything instantaneously without giving it much of a thought. However, do you think that your image, story or even the provided content is that necessary for you to post?
- Be sure to take a second off and think that the post you have created. Think if that is apt enough to communicate on or to share it with someone on a public platform. If the answer is no, then you might not share it on the first place.
- Just imagine someone close to you sitting beside you while sharing the post like your mom, dad, sibling or best friend. Do you think they will get upset by watching you post such content? Will they be grossed out or offended? Think about it first and then end up making a decision.
- It is always mandatory for you to use your judgment as that is what seals the deal in the end. You can try imagining how you might feel if you ever stumble across content randomly, that you plan to post.
People willing to check out the post:
In case, you are making plans to use any strong language in post, then try reconsidering it first. Even after that, if you have to, make sure to limit it to just few people and adjust settings on post so that some of the selected individuals will be kept out of your post or discussion.
- For example, you are planning to post a sensitive content, which you think your parents won’ approve. So, make sure to keep them out of the post and invite other friends to check out the post and comment on the same. This is a great way to avoid any arguments later on.
- It is always necessary for you to think about the audience first before you get to share the content on social media platforms. In some cases, you are planning to send a joke to some friends. In place of sharing that on social media, you can just create a group of your close friends and share the post over there. It is a great way to maintain privacy among friends without missing out on the fun.
Be sure to stay safe:
It is your duty to be always safe on social media. Identity theft along with similar such contexts are gaining quite some popularity. So, it is always important for you to select followers and friends whom you know personally. Don’t just open the account for everyone as you don’t know what people have in their minds.
Author Bio –
Kristen Smith has been working on the importance of social media in marketing with thousands of real Instagram followers for her postings. You can visit Instagram followers for more information.